Sunday, September 17, 2017

A Throne for Games

Yes, yes - the title is not very original but there it is, nonetheless.

I used to have a couple of mid-back gaming chairs.  One was an old, old office style chair.  It was so old that the foam padding had all but disintegrated, often leaving small piles of foam 'dust' whenever it was moved.  The other is still in good condition, but is a rather small, red vinyl covered, molded one-piece chair.  Neither were extremely comfortable for long sitting sessions.

So, some years back I went a bought a new, high-back chair.  The seat is a little narrow in the front - a fact made even worse by having the arms attach to the sides of the seat front, near the legs.  If I attempted to 'sprawl' a bit (which I tend to do while gaming), it would 'pinch' my legs.  I managed to find some impromptu spacers to help widen the front area, making it more comfortable.  The seat itself does not have a lot of padding.  In my review comments on Amazon.com, I mentioned that I have sat in hardwood chairs that had a more comfortable seat.  Nevertheless, I went and bought a nice, think piece of denser foam (about 4-inches think) to augment the padding and made it work.

Well, as tends to happen, over time the chair...I don't want to say it's "falling apart" 'cuz it's not like it's completely broken or has 'disassembled' itself, but yeah - it's falling apart.  And seeing as how I've been thinking about getting a new gaming chair anyway, I finally went and ordered a new one via Amazon.com (natch) yesterday.

If you've done any research for gaming chairs, you would know that some of the 'top-listed' gaming chair manufacturers sell their chairs for anywhere between $300 and $1,000.  There is no way I'm paying that much for a gaming chair.  Besides, I don't need a lot of the extraneous 'niceties' such as built-in speakers.  So, with a little diligent research I managed to located one for about $120 that had numerous positive reviews; the most important of which is 'very comfortable', which was often used in said positive reviews.  I also tend to look at the negative reviews, of which there were far fewer, to get a sense of what the typical (if there is such a thing) dissatisfied consumer would complain about.  The main complaint I saw was that the chair was 'squeaky' or 'creaky' and that's something I couldn't care less* about.

Color is another element that I really don't have much preference in, so I also managed to save a little money because of the color-scheme selected.  For whatever reason, different color-schemes can have different prices.  I would have been fine with a solid dark-ish color, but apparently that's not 'cool' enough for a gaming chair, as most have at least some splash of color accents.  (Whatever dude - it's a freakin' chair, man...it's purpose is to be sat upon, not be entered into a fashion show.)  Still, I did choose the blue-accented chair over the red one, 'cuz they were both the same price and I prefer blue over red.  But had the red one been cheaper...

In any case, it should arrive sometime later this week or early next week.  I'm looking forward to its arrival (and subsequent assembly and use).


____
* Some people incorrectly use the phrase "I could care less" but if you could "care less", then you care at least a little.  However, if you couldn't care less, then you are at the absolute bottom of your caring scale and cannot go any lower on it - akin to "absolute zero" when discussing temperature.  (Of course, as technology improved over the years, and we've been able to more accurately measure temperature, 'absolute zero' has shifted a little and conversion formulae have been altered to compensate...but I digress....)


No comments:

Post a Comment