Thursday, February 9, 2017

Escaping the Inescapable

So in my last post, I mentioned that Ravenloft is coming.  I then proceeded to mostly talk about the brain-in-a-jar monster.  But that was not going to be the original topic of the post.

No, originally I was going to discuss some Ravenloft lore, if you will.

Now, I am not normally much of a 'lore guy', per se.  That is, I know various realms have different lore associated with them (such a Shadar-kai belonging to the Forgotten Realms not Eberron, for example), but for the most part I don't necessarily care about such things.

And I really don't know an awful lot specifically about Ravenloft lore, but there is one thing I remember either hearing, reading, or being told:  once you are transported into Ravenloft, forever there you will remain, as there is no escape from Ravenloft*.

Except, there is.

The basic lore (from what I understand) is that the mists of Ravenloft will transport you there, but not back out**.

And according to lore, there have only been something like (2) of the 'Dark Lords' (I think) that were actually able to 'defy' the 'Dark Powers' and make their way (somehow) out of Ravenloft.

But of course, there is a problem with being "stuck" in a specific realm.  In a PnP game?  OK...maybe.  But not in a computer game, and especially not in an MMO.  At least, not if you want people to keep playing it.

So what to do?  If lore says "you can't leave", how do you leave?

Ah, but wait!  Lore actually DOES have a way out:  portals.  Random portals,

Granted, no one knows exactly when or where they may show up - they are random, after all, but in the MMO world/game, I would bet that a random portal will "just happen to show up" when you complete the quest.

Kind of like Elminster (hehehe).

So for all of you lore-ian lawyers who must try and ruin everyone else's fun by complaining "that's not lore", well, too bad.  It's a game.  Live with it...or don't.  Doesn't matter to me in either case.  Just know that Ravenloft lore does account for ways out, even if technically there is only a one-in-a-million chance of doing so.

We'll just chalk it up to us being very, very, very, very lucky, each time we run a Ravenloft quest in game.

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!! <--- maniacal laugh


____
*  OK, technically I suppose it's the pocket dimension called the Demiplane of Dread, where Ravenloft is actually located, not Ravenloft in-and-of-itself, from which there is no escape.
Po-TAY-to, po-TAH-to...From what I understand, the mists are more-or-less a 'random' teleportation system within the various realms of Ravenloft, and that there is something like a one-in-a-million chance of the mists transporting you back out.  So never count on the mist being able to get you back.

** From what I understand, the mists are more-or-less a 'random' teleportation system within the various realms of Ravenloft, and that there is something like a one-in-a-million chance of the mists transporting you back out.  So never count on the mist being able to get you back.


No comments:

Post a Comment