Thursday, July 18, 2019

Return to Krondor† (er, Baldur's Gate)

Once again, I will blame my extended lack of posting on that most dreaded of all four-letter words (W-O-R-K).  But seeing as how I selfishly promoted my own blog today (that being July 18, 2019, if you happen to be reading "in the future") on the DDO fora (sorry, "forums"), I figured I should probably attempt to put up a post.

So, here it is.

*crickets*

Um...

*crickets*

Hmmm...I suppose I should have thought up a topic before diving in....  Oh well, too late now.

I been playing a bit of the original* "Baldur's Gate" lately.  While the original graphics are fixed at 640 x 480, it still holds up pretty well.  Single player mode was always more fun to me.  A couple of friends and I tried playing a multi-player game once (once...), but that was way too annoying and we gave up after the fist big fight we ran into.  Part of the problem was that anytime any person in the party talked to someone, the game paused**.  And if your other players were in the middle of a fight, well, just too bad for them.

Another problem, as I recall, is if you have a Paladin or Ranger player in your party, and someone else did an "evil" thing, like get caught picking pockets or stealing, the Paladin and/or Ranger would instantly lose their Paladin/Ranger status and become just a fighter.  Relying on other players to "behave" so you don't lose your special abilities really, really sucks.  Imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth that would occur if that were to happen in a PnP game (I'd want to kill whomever did that to me).

I do not know if those issues still existed with "Baldur's Gate II" (as I never played that one...yet), or not.  If so, hopefully, at least, they have been 'fixed' in the recently released "Baldur's Gate III".

The trailer of which which amazing (though I doubt it represents actual game-play).



____
* Not to be confused with the "Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition" (BGEE), released in 2012.

** I have since leared that while this is a default condition, it can be changed.  If only we knew that back then...

† "Return to Krondor" is another old game I started playing "back in the day" but never finished.  I should really fire that one up one of these days, as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment