Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Survival of the Luckiest?

Well, the inaugural DDO Hardcore League session has ended.  It seemed to be a big hit.  While there is no official word on when - or even "if" - it will return, I'd have to bet that it will, someday.

How did I do?  Four death in total, but I did manage to make it to level 20.  It took quite a bit of my time, so while I'm glad I was able to do it, I'm not certain I will participate next time.  Assuming, of course, that there will be a "next time" (though personally, I wouldn't bet against it).

I'm told that I am only one of two in our (very small) guild who actually made it to level 20.  On the one hand, that's kinda nice.  On the other, it's too bad more failed than succeeded.  But, seeing how some of those who didn't make it played, it honestly doesn't really surprise me.

Now, I mean no disrespect to them, but they pretty much played like it was just another non-hardcore server. Little to no tactics were used; they would rush into fights, and ignore corners or other hampering terrain features that would give a defender an advantage (not unlike the Battle of Thermopylae).  Using doorways in this fashion is one of my favorite tactics in DDO (and it has saved me on more than one occasion).

My victory of reaching level 20 was mostly done solo*.  Why?  Because most of my guildies live in a different time zone, and I don't care for PUGs**.  Of course, being ranged helped a lot, too - one of the best way to defeat a bunch of mobs is to kill them before they even reach you.  Melee would have been much tougher.


____
* Meaning, no other player characters to help me, but I did use hirelings and "pets" (upon reaching level 10, which is the lowest pet level I had).

** Pick-Up Group(s); grouping with a bunch of strangers.

No comments:

Post a Comment