Thursday, August 31, 2017

Where Have All the Bloggers Gone?

You may be tempted to think that this post is a filk on a Kingston Trio* song, but don't, 'cuz it's not (though I did think about it).

Back when MyDDO was around, there were several regular bloggers (myself, included).  When they closed MyDDO, Evennote made the OurDDO website with the sole purpose of creating an RSS feed and links for all the numerous displaced MyDDO bloggers.  Thus was created a single website where one could find their favorite DDO blogger and maybe - just maybe - find some others that one may not have even known existed.

That was back in Spring of 2013.  Since then, the original OurDDO website has moved to a new host (with new URL, of course) and several bloggers have stopped posting. Of the still listed 70 sites**, only 32 have posted something within the last year (or so)***.  Unfortunately, not all of those still posting are showing up in the RSS feed, though.  <facetiousness>Even, with Malice Aforethought† (hehehe), took out any "Blogger" (the on-line blogging publishing site) sites from the feed.</facetiousness>  One of which is mine.

On top of that, one of the most prolific DDO bloggers of all time, Geoff Hanna, has all but stopped posting.  Between these two events, the traffic to (and comments on) my blog has dwindled as the OurDDO and Geoff Hanna's sites were the largest referring sites to my blog here.

Technically, Shindurza still falls within the 'active' group, seeing as how his last post was made in 2016, even though it's only his second posting since MyDDO shut down.

While it's a little sad to see that so many site have stopped, 32 out of 70 (roughly 46%) still 'active' isn't too bad.  Though if some of those don't post "soon", they too will be moved to the inactive list (figuratively speaking).  Other than the "Blogger" sites, I'm not sure if some of the 'active' sites are actually showing up in the RSS feed on OurDDO.  Several are, to be sure, but I don't know that "all" of them are.  But since I'm not the webmaster for that site, I guess that's really not my problem.  Other than I'd like to know when they post so I know when to go check them out.  I may have a pretty good memory, but I'm not going to memorize the active blogs.

Besides, the activeness of blogs can and does change all the time.

______
* Pete Seeger actual wrote and made the first recording of the song in 1960; the Kingston Trio released a version in 1961; and Peter, Paul, and Mary released a version in 1962.  My first introduction was the Kingston Trio's version, but much later than 1961.

** Not all of the sites listed are blogging sites, and some are 'duplicates' (not sure how Geoff Hanna managed to get 3 copies of his website published under separate names/links, but he does).

*** I counted any site with the last post date sometime in 2016 or later.

† She claims it's because they were causing problems with the feed, but I think it's just because her sites use WordPress and doesn't like anyone knowing there is a viable alternative to WordPress. (hehehe)


No comments:

Post a Comment