Wednesday, August 23, 2017

I Think, Therefore, I...Slay?

Sentient Weapons are coming to DDO.

While it has been confirmed that they will be part of the upcoming Ravenloft expansion, and that they will be end-game gear (I take this to mean "legendary" or L30+), this does not stop some forumites from throwing out all sorts of 'hopes' and 'wish lists' for what they will be like.  Not that there is anything wrong with throwing out hopes and wish lists, per se, but most of what I've seen is pretty much, in a word, stupid.

There's one thread that is taking what can and is done in PnP and trying to apply it here, like having the weapon being able to mentally dominate the owner (player).  Seriously?  What player in his right mind would want to have something in-game that controls his actions?  This obviously could/does work in PnP, but not in a video game - especially a MMORPG game.  It just can't (I won't bother going into details as to "why" - just trust me on this).

Someone else wants it to start out as level 1 and level-up with the player.  OK, not the stupidest idea, but think about it - that can't really work either.  Why?  Well, if you have this weapon that requires you to level it up, why would you ever use anything else, like random or crafted weapons?  LotRO does have 'artifact' weapons that will level-up, but you can't get them until you're level 50, and they are limited in how they level.  I suppose if some type of limiting element were implemented, then it might work.  But I will say that ever since I 'found' my first artifact in LotRO, I have not gone back to use random loot weapons*.

Regardless, what we do know is that the sentient weapons will have a personality AND - most importantly (as far as I am concerned) - the player will be able to choose that personality.  Because, if you're 'stuck' with an item whose personality continually rubs you the wrong way, it just won't be fun.  And games are meant to be fun.

Obviously, there will be a limited number of personalities, but still - being able to choose your own sentient weapon's personality and from what I can tell CHANGE IT, should be fun.  I'm hoping there will be a sarcastic one with a somewhat grating voice like Gilbert Godfried as well as a nice, sexy female voice...among others, of course.

Additionally, it sounds like you will also be able to choose your weapon's characteristics.  No real information on this, but I suspect things like elemental damage, critical/vorpal procs, etc.  But just how many effects can be place on a single weapon is anyone's guess.  But both systems (effects and personality) have been stated as being a variation of the current augment system.  However, as we all know, things are subject to change.

I haven't decided yet if I want to participate in any of the preview builds on Lamannia (when they are put there, of course).  On the one hand, I'd like to see how it will be put together, but on the other hand, being surprised in live is also fun.  Thankfully, I have a little while yet to decide.

In any event, I'm looking forward to both the sentient weapons and Ravenloft expansion.  I am hopeful that the expansion will meet or exceed expectations, though when expectations are high, this can be hard to do.  Still, I thought, overall, the MotU expansion was very well done.  So there is hope.

_____
* OK, OK - I actually do still use random loot weapons, but ONLY for the off-hand one, which, so far as I know, there is no artifact weapon that can be used in the off-hand.


No comments:

Post a Comment