Sunday, May 9, 2021

Grammer*

I suppose it shouldn't, but it amazes me how so many so-called "professional" websites are chock full of incomplete sentences, run-on sentences, using the wrong homonym, and other grammatical errors.  I can only assume that they don't have proofreaders or editors.

And I'm not even talking about typos**.  Nor am I talking about (casual) bloggers.

I don't know how many times.  I've seen a post.  Where every individual. Phrase is written out.  Like they are stand-alone sentences.

Or, of course, the opposite problem where a bunch of sentences are jammed together making one very long sentence which goes on-and-on without breaking out phrases or separating individual sentences and they may even change topics creating a menagerie of ideas all flowing in a common string of words, which of course makes it incredibly difficult to follow along, as the run-on sentence jumps from one subject to another with no break or other form of separation of thoughts, not unlike a series of day-dreams that may start out about trains, but ends up being airplanes or a completely unrelated idea such as dinner plans.

It's one thing if the writer is not a native English speaker - that's to be understood.  It would be like me trying to post in French ('cuz, I don't speak French) - any French-speaking readers I might have would scoff at me (and rightly so).  Still, that would be more acceptable on an 'amateur' website, not a 'professional' one (like a 'magazine' or 'newspaper' website) - and I see it all the time.

But then, I suppose it's (unfortunately) to be expected when even so-called 'native' English speakers can't even agree on when to use things as simple as an apostrophe-s ('s).  "Boss's" - really?  Or even "Jones's" - good grief.  But then, I have been told that the simple rule of "if it ends in an "s" just place an apostrophe and nothing else" has been "(un?)officially" changed to "well, if it ends in one "s" it's OK to add 's, but not if it ends in double s (ss)". *SMACKS FOREHEAD*  (It's not that complicated, people - really, it's not.)

I'm not trying to say that my grammar is always perfect ('cuz it's not).  But then again, I don't write for a professional website, either.


_____

 * Yes, I spelled "grammar" incorrectly on purpose.

** Even I am not perfect with respect to publishing with typos.  However, If I do find an already published post with a typo (or 2...or 3...or...), I will typically go back and edit the post.

No comments:

Post a Comment